What is outplacement, and why is it important?
Outplacement is a benefit that many employers offer to help laid-off employees begin searching for new employment. Today, approximately 72 percent of employers offer some form of outplacement benefits.* Many companies use outside firms, such as RiseSmart, to provide outplacement.
Why is outplacement important?
Offering outplacement is more than just the "right thing to do" for your employees. Given that your departing employees are about to become your newest alumni, it's likely you'll encounter them again as prospective customers, partners or competitors. You might even think of outplacement as an insurance policy that benefits everyone concerned. RiseSmart’s outplacement solution drives significant value for employers, in the form of:
- Faster time-to-land for displaced employees
- Increased engagement and productivity of retained employees
- Improved cost-per-hire
- Reduced tax burdens
- Mitigated risk
- Protected employer brand
- More employee referrals
* Source: Hewitt Associates, March 2009
What is RiseSmart Transition?
RiseSmart Transition, RiseSmart's flagship outplacement solution, creatively leverages technology to optimize time-to-placement for impacted employees. Powered by proprietary job-matching software, the solution delivers highly personalized job leads as well as other job search tools and resources to participants on a weekly basis. Participants also receive unlimited one-on-one support from trained Transition Coaches during every step of the job search process.
How is RiseSmart Transition different from other services?
RiseSmart Transition differs from other outplacement offerings in several respects:
- Whereas other firms focus on grief counseling, group seminars and providing a soothing office environment for a job search, RiseSmart gets down in the trenches with employees to actually help find them a job
- Unlike other services that offer automated job alerts, RiseSmart uses sophisticated aggregation and semantic search technology to match each employee’s job preferences against millions of active job listings across the Web, after which a dedicated career expert filters these results by hand to ensure that only pertinent leads are delivered to each employee
- RiseSmart participants receive unlimited one-on-one coaching and support from veteran career professionals throughout the job search process, while other services provide only limited access to a career coach
- RiseSmart Transition also designates a personal branding expert to create a new resume, cover letter and social media bio for each participant, unlike other services that offer templates or simply give advice about how the employee should update an existing resume
Who are your customers?
RiseSmart Transition customers include some of the most forward-looking corporations in the Fortune 1000, spanning industries such as technology, healthcare, manufacturing, telecommunications and retail. All of our customers are available as references to organizations with a serious interest in RiseSmart Transition.
Do you work with laid-off employees nationwide?
Yes. We use phone, email and Web-based consultation to provide nationwide services cost-efficiently. This approach ensures a consistent outplacement process for organizations with multiple locations. And because we don’t waste money paying Grade-A office rents or flying consultants to group seminars, we are able to deliver a very high level of one-on-one outplacement support to transitioning employees.
How much does RiseSmart Transition cost?
The leading outplacement organizations charge exorbitant amounts for their outdated offerings. A survey by the Institute for Corporate Productivity shows the cost is typically between $5-6k per employee, and companies have been paying those costs because, to be honest, there were no other options. But now, RiseSmart has revolutionized the industry with lower costs and better results. We're much more effective and much more affordable than traditional outplacement vendors. To receive a price quote for your organization, please contact us.
Do you work with all employee levels?
Yes. We offer a variety of service packages covering the needs of all employee levels, from senior executives to hourly workers. Additionally, our programs include options for retirees, spouses, entrepreneurs and all levels of redeployed employees. We'll be pleased to work with you to create a customized program that meets your organization's specific needs.
How do transitioning employees access your services?
Employees access their RiseSmart Transition program through an interactive online portal customized with your corporate brand. To activate outplacement services:
- Employees begin by registering for their program online or by phone
- Upon registering, each employee is assigned a dedicated Transition Coach, who will provide one-on-one support for every aspect and stage of the job search process
- The Transition Coach has a 1:1 session with the employee to begin the job search process, starting with an initial assessment to get to know the employee and his or her priorities, and then sets the direction of the employee's job search
What kind of one-on-one support do employees receive?
We assemble a dedicated three-member team for each participant in the RiseSmart Transition program:
- Transition Coach: a veteran career professional with 8 – 10 years’ experience in career coaching, recruiting, and HR who will guide the employee through the entire job search process
- Personal Branding Expert: a Certified Professional Resume Writer who creates a new resume, cover letter, and social media bio for each participant based on his or her skills and specific job search objectives
- Job Concierge: a career expert who uses RiseSmart’s proprietary job-matching software to choose the most relevant job opportunities for each employee, along with recommended articles, blogs, events, videos, and webinars
How do employers measure results and track the success of RiseSmart Transition participants?
We provide a wealth of data to keep you aware of your former employees' progress and to help you better manage your outplacement investment. Within RiseSmart Transition, you can generate reports to track real-time program usage and monitor:
- When employees register for RiseSmart Transition
- When they access various services
- How actively they use each service
- How well they're progressing in their job searches (number of job leads and interviews secured)
- When they find a new job
With RiseSmart Transition, you'll be able to see a clear return on investment and know that your departing employees are in excellent hands.
Why don't you provide group counseling sessions and the use of office space as part of your services?
It’s not our normal practice, but we can provide these services at our clients’ request. However, most laid-off employees today don’t want to be stroked or coddled; they simply want to find a new job quickly. In a country where nearly a third of workers telecommute*, few wish to set up shop in an outplacement firm’s offices to conduct their job search. They’d rather be at home, or out and about, networking on their laptops. The great majority of today’s workers want one thing above all others from outplacement: a new job. Therefore, we focus our services where they can provide the highest value for the employee.
* Source: Harris Interactive Poll, March 2013
How are participation and success measured?
As part of the implementation process, your organization can select the desired metrics for success, and we'll work with you to design a program that will achieve those results. We provide ongoing metrics to you, and we also enable on-demand reporting so that you can track aggregate usage and engagement levels for the organization.